The Chapel of St Augustine
Believed to be built on the site of St Colmcille's original 6th century monastery, The Chapel of St Augustine is a beautiful little church in a wonderfully serene setting. The chapel was also the site for an Augustinian monastery, but was taken over as a place of worship by the London colonists and became Anglican. The present chapel dates back to 1872.
St Columb's Cathedral
One of Derry's most prominent buildings, St Columb's Cathedral sits within Derry's city walls and was built between 1628 and 1633. St Columb's Cathedral is Derry's oldest building and was the first Protestant cathedral built in Britain or Ireland following the reformation. The cathedral has many intriguing historic features. The two flags in the chancel window were captured from French forces during the Siege of Derry of 16, while in the cathedral Porch is a hollow mortar shell fired into the church yard during the siege inside which were the terms of surrender.
St Columba's Long Tower Church
Another important Derry church, St Columba's was the first Catholic Church built in Derry following the reformation and the plantation of Ulster. Built in 1784, the Long Tower stands on the site of Derry's prominent medieval church Tempull Mor or Great Church which dated back to 1164.
St Eugene's Cathedral
St Eugene's Roman Catholic Cathedral was built in 1851, following the Great Famine. At 9pm each night the bells of St Eugene's ring out as a reminder of Penal Law curfew, which banished Catholics from within the city walls. The east window of the cathedral contains a stained glass feature dedicated Bishop Kelly, the cathedral's first Bishop, who dedicated the building to St Eugene in 1873.