- 1 pound bacon slices
- 2 pounds pork sausage links
- bacon fat or oil
- 2 large onions -- sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 large potatoes -- thickly sliced
- 2 carrots -- thickly sliced
- 1 large bunch of fresh herbs -- tied with string
- black pepper
- hard cider (apple wine) or apple cider
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Lightly fry bacon until crisp. Place in large cooking pot. Brown sausage in some bacon grease or vegetable oil. Remove and add to pot. Soften sliced onions and whole garlic cloves in fat, then add to pot with potatoes and carrots. Bury the bunch of herbs in the middle of the mixture. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover with cider. Cook 1 1/2 hours over moderate heat; do not boil. Garnish with chopped parsley.
If you would like more information on Ireland, on our suggested self drive Ireland vacations or Escorted vacations please contact one of our Ireland based Guides who can provide you with a free quote.